We need your help!
Open Heroines is looking for volunteers to help us run the community.
Over the past couple of years, Open Heroines has been led by three paid community coordinators, with financial support from the Hewlett Foundation. This grant ran until August 2023. You can read our final report to our donor here. We had three lines of work in mind when we applied for the fund - 1. Nurturing our community; 2. Supporting women to feel safe at work, and 3. creating and highlighting leadership around intersectional feminism in open+ sectors.
We are proud to say that we accomplished all three. Still, there is much work left to be done to strengthen the community. We would love to continue building the community, with your support. We are calling for volunteers to help out in several ways:
Social Media Management
Following the advisory from our community member, Katherine Wikrent, who performed a social media analysis for us (see report here), we would like to increase our social media presence. You can support by:
- Checking our X, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts twice a week, liking and resharing content
- Posting original content twice a week
Prepare Bi-monthly Newsletters
- Research newsletter content (job opportunities, research papers/articles written by community members, etc.)
- Design and disseminate newsletters
- Writing blogs
- Editing members’ blogs
- Update Events Calendar
Recruiting New Members
- Actively invite members from different regions and backgrounds
- Share the Membership Request form or direct them to our webpage
Skill Building/Peer Learning
- Organise four skill-building sessions per year
- Find volunteers/trainers and invite members
- Prepare promotional material for the sessions
Championing Open Heroines and its Values in Global Events
- Spreading the word about the community in conferences, workshops, etc.
- Promoting feminist approaches in these spaces
Organise Monthly Calls with Researchers
This is an opportunity for researchers to connect, share tales of their research adventures, and share their ongoing/past work.
The sessions are not structured. Any researcher can volunteer to lead a session.
If you would like to volunteer, kindly send an email to email@example.com. There is no deadline for application; we will welcome volunteers on an ongoing basis.
We would also love to hear any additional ideas/proposals on how you would like to get involved.
PS: You do not need to be an expert in any of these fields! We will be happy to show you the ropes!